Friday, September 23, 2011

Update and a poem

Things have been going well with Xavier. He was moved to a new resource room when a new Special Ed teacher was hired. I've had some good talks with her via email and I think some good things are going to come out of this year. Xavier was disappointed to lose his only male teacher but I told him that he can still talk to Mr. Bauer or Mr. Johnson, the school psychologist, if something comes up and he needs a guy to talk to.
Xavier has a new goal - to get out of resource room so I told him he has to get his grade up to As and Bs and then we'll talk. He's smart but not good at organizing his stuff or time. We're working on the paper organization and they will do so at school as well. Ms. Kruger, the special ed teacher, said she will help him organize his homework and make sure it's getting done. We'll start with reminding him on a daily basis and then taper off so he can do it on his own. If it works and he can demonstrate that he can manage on his own then we'll start the discussion about leaving the resource room and gaining a new elective.
I'm not 100% comfortable with him leaving the resource room but if it motivates him to improve then that's great.
He has to do a year project for his science class that involves agriculture. The teacher said he could volunteer at the humane society if he couldn't do anything else. He's been trying to find someone who can help him raise chickens but all of us live in places where chickens are not allowed. I mentioned talking to our apartment manager but he didn't want to. The Path program is looking for volunteers so that might be an option as well.
This week Xavier sent me a poem he wrote for his English class. I want to share that with you. He, also, went to writer's group with me this week and loved it. We may have another writer in the family.

Rescue/foster cat
As I go to go to the ASPCA
I see the perfect cat
She was a long haired Persian
Ironically her name was Perfect
She was 9 years old
she passed at 17 years old
but now we have to part
she has taught me a lesson that ill never forget
that boy and cat can have true happiness
and now I can never find a cat like her anywhere

No comments: