Friday, July 1, 2011

Babies

My brother and his wife had their baby Tuesday night. Their bundle of joy was named Bianca and she is so precious. Xavier is baby crazy so having a new baby in the family is great. He loves to play with the little kids but has such a knack with babies. It's one of those fascinating traits about Xavier - he's so busy that you can't imagine his patience when it comes to small beings who need a little less activity. He can sit still and watch barn kittens or bunnies.
My mom is going to see the baby and new parents this weekend so it does mean not really having her around for the holidays. We promise to forgive her if she brings back lots of pictures. I'm looking over the budget to see if there is any chance of taking a Seattle trip this summer. We'd love to go see the baby even if it means a really tiring trip.
I'm bouncing around today because I don't really have a good topic for today's post. Xavier will be meeting with Dennis who will be the family therapist and we will meet with him Tuesday. I'm excited for this and hope it's rather successful. Since Xavier has been on the Risperdal, we've had far fewer problems with his behavior. We're working on tapping but at this moment Xavier is not really open to it so I don't want to share the procedure if it's unsuccessful. I may share anyway because I have noticed that it really makes me feel better and calmer. The goal is just to keep mentioning it to Xavier is short increments so that it becomes something that he just does instead of trying to "force" him into using it. The last time I suggested it to him, he just showed me he knew how to do it and didn't say anything so this might work.
I've been seeing "ads" around campus looking for volunteers to help at Orphan Acres which is a horse rescue farm. I keep forgetting to talk with Xavier about it but I think it might be something he'd enjoy helping with. He has a knack with horses and I could tell how attached his therapy horse was to him. The horse kept nuzzling Xavier and no one else. Everyone was so impressed with his work with his horse. The program was a couple of hours a week for 9 weeks and the last day the kids show their skills off. Xavier's horse did everything he asked it to do with no problem. In fact that was part of the problem because they were demonstrating how they work with uncooperative horses and Xavier's horse was completely cooperative. It was so great to see.
Xavier says he wants to grow up to be a crazy cat man. We watched the original Clash of the Titans this past weekend and Xavier was in love with the older man (the playwright whose name I can't remember now). That man had cats and kittens all over his room. As soon as Xavier noticed it, he exclaimed that that's what he wanted to be when he grew up - a crazy cat man and was so glad that someone else was one too.

No comments: