Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Therapy night

Last night was our first official CFI therapy. It was really casual and felt more like a cluster of conversations than therapy. There was a lot of information (from us) that just layered over the two hours. Dennis is a great guy and is going to be a joy to work with. He said he was amazed at how functioning we were as a family (he said something about us being a unique situation). He's going to bring another boy next time (in two weeks) to help Xavier work on his social skills and Rob and I have to come up with a list of motivators/rewards to get Xavier to have the behaviors we want. I have struggled with motivators when it comes to Xavier but Dennis had some great ideas.
I want to come up with a unique way to keep track of the tasks and behaviors we want Xavier to have so I thought I'd try a Bingo game. I'd make up Bingo cards and laminate them with the tasks we want Xavier to do - like brush his teeth and take out the trash. We can have school ones as well. In the beginning I think I'll have him try to get a "bingo" and then work up to filling the whole card. Rob and I can initial the tasks when he does them. We'll see how that goes.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So how is it going?

Jim Pogue said...

So how is it going part 2

Papa said...

So the comment box seems to be working. That's good.

Unknown said...

Good to know they are finally working, still has a few bugs at this end but I think I can live with them.

Debby said...

Sara, I like you idea of a Bingo game for him . May I suggest that after he makes a "straight" bingo, then go on to do 4 corners or the letter "T" or "L" or small and large picture frame before he has to cover the board. He may get fustrated if the first one is easy adn it takes soooo long to coverr the board.
Thanks for the blog. I love hearing about Xavier. I lost my address book, would you pls send me you address again ? Thanks love all of u