Monday, July 18, 2011

Harry Potter

We went Sunday to see the last Harry Potter movie. Taking Xavier to the movies is always an adventure. He's getting better but we have to be clear with the rules when we get there.
Xavier loves to talk through movies especially when it's characters he knows. I can't stand watching comic book movies with him or ones adapted from cartoons because he has a pre-conceived notion about how the characters should behave.
He wasn't too bad through this movie. It was long for a movie but he didn't get to antsy which just goes to show how much he liked it. He's getting really tall so I ended up getting kicked and kneed a few times as he repositioned himself. The chairs are not that big at the theatre and he likes to sit with his feet under him. It was not really successful at the theatre but he managed.
He didn't talk to me much through the movie but that may have been the stern warning I gave him before it started. He did whisper to his father now and again but it didn't seem to excessive (and he remembered to whisper as quietly as possible).
I love movies adapted from books when it comes to sharing movies with Xavier. Sometimes the movies are so good, we can talk him into reading the book. He has listened to Harry Potter books on tape/cd which is a good start.
I've been trying to get him to read books this summer with the idea that I would read them too and we'd watch the movie but I can't get him through a book. He does like graphic novels and just devours them so it's not all bad.
This post is more scattered than I meant it to be but that is life in our house. Xavier is sure growing up and I can see some things change. Ten years of watching Harry Potter movies and I get to see my boy grow up with them. I can't believe he was only 4 when the first movie came out. I know we didn't see the first few in the theatre - the idea of going to a movie with Xavier was not fun. Even getting him to sit through them at home was hard. Now I think he'd sit through a whole marathon but he'd do a lot of talking because he knows the stories so well.
For those who might watch a movie with Xavier, never watch a movie for the first time with him if he has seen it before - he loves to talk about what's going to happen. He has a really good movie memory and gets overly excited when he knows something good is going to happen. He doesn't care if you talk through the movie nor does he mind knowing what's going to happen. It's all fun to him (he can watch the same movie over and over, still). Fortunately, he watches lots of movies so it's rare that we see the same one twice in a month unless it's airing on tv.

No comments: